After finishing intern year at Cleveland Clinic Florida (Weston, FL), she did a research fellowship in Wound Healing at University of Miami (UM) where as a Post Doctoral Research Associate and Clinical Sub-Investigator she conducted multiple clinical trials and co-authored over 35 peer reviewed articles and book chapters. During that time, she was a volunteer member of the Wound Care Team that served in the UM Haiti earthquake relief project.
Dr. Vivas completed her residency in Dermatology and Cutaneous surgery at University of Miami receiving an award for excellence in dermatologic surgery.
She has spoken at national and international dermatologic conferences and has served as a reviewer for several dermatologic journals including Dermatologic Surgery Journal, International Wound Journal and Journal of Functional Biomaterials.
Fluent in English and Spanish, Dr. Vivas is passionate about all aspects of Dermatology including medical and cosmetic dermatology as well as dermatologic surgery.
UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI CURRICULUM VITAE
Place of birth: Austin, TX, United States of America
Current Position: PGY-4 Dermatology Resident
Institution: University of Miami, Miller School Of Medicine, Department of Dermatology
Office Address: 1600 NW 10th Street, RMSB. Suite 2023-A, Miami, FL 33136
Contact number: Cellular: (786) 315-8523, Office: (305) 243-3136
Oct 1998 – Dec 2004 Medical Doctor, Central University of Venezuela, Luis Razetti School of Medicine, Caracas, Venezuela. Graduated with honors, rank in class: 11th out of 230 graduates.
III. Medical Training
Jul 2014 – Present Dermatology residency (PGY-3 and 4), University of Miami, Miami, FL. USA.
Jul 2013 – Jun 2014 Dermatology residency (PGY-2), University of Florida, Gainesville, FL. USA.
Jul 2008 – Jun 2009 Internal Medicine Internship. Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston, FL, USA.
Aug 2009 – Jun 2013 Clinical Research Fellowship (Post Doctoral Research Associate and Clinical Sub- Investigator) in Wound Healing with Dr. Robert S. Kirsner. University of Miami, Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery, Miami, FL.
1) Sáenz AM, Cirocco A, Gómez A, Vivas A et al. Psoriasis in children: A retrospective study between 1989 and 2003 in the pediatric consultation of the Dermatologic service of Caracas University Hospital. Dermatología Venezolana. 2004;42(4)T-18:34.
2) Sáenz AM, Cirocco A, Gómez A, Vivas A et al. Lichen Planus in children in the pediatric consultation of the Caracas University Hospital from 1989 to 2003. Dermatol Pediatr Lat. 2007;5(2):107-9.
3) Vivas A, Escandon J, Lebrun E, Choudhary S, Tang J, Kirsner RS. New therapies for treatment of diabetic foot ulcers, a review of current clinical trials. Surg Technol Int. 2010;20:83-96.
4) Vivas A, Kirsner RS. Practice Gaps: Submitting clinical photographs to dermatopathologists to facilitate interpretations: comment on “the utility of clinical photographs in dermatopathologic diagnosis: a survey study”. Arch Dermatol. 2010;146(11):1308-9.
5) Vitiello M, Vivas A, Usmani A, Allenby J, Kerdel F. Low-molecular-weight heparin: a novel treatment option for ashy dermatosis. Journal of the American College of Osteopathic Dermatology. 2010 Nov;18(1):43-44.
6) Vivas A, Escandon J, Kirsner RS. Refractory Erythromelalgia of the ears: response to Mexiletine. Am J Otolaryngol. 2011;32(2):168-70.
7) Escandon J, Vivas A, Tang JC, Rowland KJ, Kirsner RS. High mortality in patients with chronic wounds. Wound Repair Regen. 2011;19(4):526-8.
8) Vivas A, Tang JC, Miteva M, Romanelli P. Stasis dermatitis. First Consult online. Elsevier Inc. 2011.<http://www.firstconsult.com/das/pdxmd/body/285442091-21/1214826277?type=med&eid=9-u1.0-_1_mt_5090901>
9) Vivas A, Tang JC, Kirsner RS. Collagen-based tissue-engineered composites. J Wound Technol. 2011;13:62-8.
10) Vivas, A, Tang, JC, Escandon, J and Kirsner, RS. Postradiation Chronic Scalp Ulcer: A Challenge for Wound Healing Experts. Dermatol Surg. 2011;37(11):1693-6.
11) Vivas A, Maderal, A, Than MP, Kirsner RS. Letter: Designing clinical trials to bring wound products to market. Int Wound J. 2013;10(1):114-5.
12) Escandon J, Vivas A, Perez R, Kirsner RS, Davis S. A Prospective Pilot Study of Ultrasound Therapy Effectiveness in Refractory Venous Leg Ulcers. Int Wound J. 2012;9(5):570-8.
13) Tang JC, Vivas A, Kirsner RS, Romanelli P. Atypical ulcers: wound biopsy results from a university wound pathology service. Ostomy Wound Manage. 2012;58(6):20-2, 24, 26-9.
14) Vivas A, Tang JC, Maderal AD, Viera MH. Hypertrophic scars and keloids. Part I Conventional treatments. Cosmet Dermatol. 2012;25:309-16.
15) Maderal AD, Tang JC, Vivas A, Viera MH. Hypertrophic scars and keloids. Part II Newer and investigational therapies. Cosmet Dermatol.2012;25:373-9.
16) Kirsner RS, Cassidy S, Marsh C, Vivas A, Kelly RJ. Use of a Keratin-Based Wound Dressing in the Management of Wounds in a Patient with Recessive Dystrophic Epidermolysis Bullosa. Adv Skin Wound Care. Adv Skin Wound Care. 2012;25(9):400-3.
17) Viera MH, Vivas A, Berman B. Update on keloid management: clinical and basic science advances. Wound Healing Society Yearbook, Adv. Wound Care. Adv Skin Wound Care. 2012;1(5): 200-6.
18) Maderal AD, Vivas A, Zwick TG, Kirsner RS. Diabetic foot ulcers: Evaluation and management. Hospital Practice. 2012;40(3):102-15.
20) Maderal AD, Vivas A, Eaglstein WH, Kirsner RS. Designing clinical trials for chronic wound care products. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2012;23(9):993-9.
21) Richmond NA, Vivas A, Lamel SA, Braun LR, Kirsner RS. Practical Magic: Reducing Slippage of Multilayer Compression Bandages in Patients with a Venous Leg Ulcer and the Typical “Inverted Champagne Bottle” Leg. Ostomy Wound Manage. Online publication. 2013, Feb 5.
22) Stojadinovic O, Landon JN, Gordon KA, Pastar I, Escandon J, Vivas A, Maderal A, Margolis DJ, Kirsner RS, and Tomic-Canic M. Quality Assessment of Tissue Specimens for Studies of Diabetic Foot Ulcers. Exp Dermatol. 2013;22(3):216-8.
23) Vivas A, Chimento S, Herschthal J, Spock C, Alonso-Llamazares J. Disseminated keratotic spicules: a rare manifestation in multiple myeloma. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2013;68(6):e179-80.
24) Richmond N, Maderal AD, Vivas A. Evidence-based management of common chronic lower extremity ulcers. Dermatol Ther. 2013;26:187-96.
25) Vivas A, Richmond N, Kirsner RS. Topical and biological therapies for diabetic foot ulcers. Med Clin North Am. 2013;97(5):883-98.
26) Richmond NA, Lamel SA, Davidson JM, Martins-Green M, Sen CK, Tomic-Canic M, Vivas A, Braun Lisa LR, Kirsner NA. US-National Institutes of Health-funded research for cutaneous wounds in 2012. Wound Repair Regen. 2013;21(6):789-92.
27) Richmond NA, Lamel SA, Braun LR, Vivas A, Cucalon J, Block SG, Kirsner RS. Primary nonadherence (failure to obtain prescribed medicines) among dermatology patients. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2014;70(1):201-3.
28) Lamel SA, Richmond NA, Braun LR, Vivas A, Kirsner RS. The characterization of indoor tanning facilities in Florida. JAMA Dermatol. 2014;150(2):209-10.
29) Yim E, Vivas A, Maderal A, Kirsner RS. Neuropathy and Ankle Mobility Abnormalities in Patients With Chronic Venous Disease. JAMA Dermatol. 2014;150(4):385-9.
30) Richmond NA, Lamel SA, Braun LR, Vivas A, Serena T, Kirsner RS. Epidermal grafting using a novel suction blister-harvesting system for the treatment of pyoderma gangrenosum. JAMA Dermatol. 2014;150(9):999-1000.
31) Maderal AD, Vivas A, Kirsner RS. Arm dominance does not affect healing in acute wounds. Int Wound J. 2015;12(3):363.
32) Vivas A, Kirsner RS. JID VisualDx Quiz: May 2015. J Invest Dermatol. 2015; 135(5):e28.
33) Vivas A, Fox JD, Baquerizo Nole KL, Maderal AD, Badiavas E, Cargill DI, Slade HB, Feldman SR, Kirsner RS. Cryo-Induced Thermal Wounds: A Human Acute Wound Model. J Drugs Dermatol. 2015;14(7):734-8.
1) Viera MH, Vivas A, Burdick A. Teledermatologia: Experiencia en Estados Unidos y Latinoamerica. Dermatologia Ibero-Americana online. Ed: A. Rondón, JR. Antonio,J. Piquero, R. Pérez, CR. Antonio, N. Rondón, 2011;122:1-13. <http://www.cilad.org/archivos/Rondon/Rondon2009/teledermatologia.pdf>
March 25, 2013; Wiley-Blackwell.
3) Vivas A, Keri J. Steatocystoma multiplex. Acneiform Eruptions in Dermatology: A Differential Diagnosis. Springer Clinical Medicine. In press.
4) Vivas A, Maderal AD. Chronic lower extremity ulcers. Internal Medicine Board Review Book: Dermatology Section, <http://www.abim.org/>. In press.
VI. Poster Presentations
– Escandon J, Vivas A, Kirsner RS., Davis S. MIST® Therapy in refractory venous leg ulcers. Presented at the 2010 Fall Symposium on Advanced Wound Care, Orlando, FL, Sep 2010.
– Escandon J, Vivas A, Keegan B, Weinstein D, Bonilla-Martinez Z, Tang JC, Miteva M, Romanelli P, Kirsner RS. Tumor necrosis factor alpha and recalcitrant venous leg ulcers: a pilot study to determine the effect of anti TNF alpha therapy. Presented at the 2011 Symposium on Advanced Wound Care.
– Vivas A, Maderal AD, Escandon J, Tang J, Kirsner RS, Cargill I, Slade H. An open label, randomized, controlled, evaluator blinded study of the effect of topically applied polymerized fibrin, on healing of induced thermal wounds. Presented at the 2012 Symposium on Advanced Wound Care, Atlanta, Georgia, April 2012.
– Landon JN, Stojadinovic O, Escandon J, Vivas A, Tang J, Maderal A, Gordon KA, Espinosa A, Kirsner R, Tomic-Canic M. Quality of specimen acquisition determines histopathology of diabetic foot ulcers. Presented at 2012 Spring Symposium on Advanced Wound Care, Atlanta, Georgia, 2012.
– Vivas A, Braun L, Richmond N, Espinosa A, Kirsner RS. Cryo-induced Thermal Wounds: A Human Wound Model. Accepted for the 2013 Spring Symposium on Advanced Wound Care.
– Richmond N, Vivas A, Braun L, Lamel S, Espinosa A, Slade HB, Kirsner RS. The Effect of Ankle Range of Motion on Venous Ulcer Healing Rates. Accepted for the 2013 Spring Symposium on Advanced Wound Care.
– Braun L, Richmond N, Vivas A, Lamel S, Kirsner RS. Topical Timolol for Recalcitrant Wounds. Submited to the 2013 Spring Symposium on Advanced Wound Care. Accepted for the 2013 Spring Symposium on Advanced Wound Care.
VII. National Conference Presentations
Sep 2012 “Emerging therapies for diabetic foot ulcers”, Symposium of Advanced Wound Care Fall, September 12, 2012. Baltimore, USA
Sep 2013 “Literature Review- Top Articles of the Past Year”, Symposium on Advanced Wound Care Fall, September 29, 2013. Las Vegas, USA
Jun 2015 “Patient’s training and role on prevention and management of diabetic foot ulcers,
U.S perspective” A life that is born makes life grow. Cord blood: current experiences and future programs, June 5, 2015. Milan, Italy
VIII. Radio interviews
Aug 2012 National Public Radio Science Friday in Spanish segment in regards to the phase IIb results from the protocol “Efficacy of a fibrinogen and thrombin solution containing living keratinocytes and fibroblasts in venous leg ulcers” published in The Lancet in the August issue, 2012. (Copy available upon request)
IX. Editorial Responsibilities
2011 Reviewer for Dermatologic Surgery Journal, International Wound Journal and Journal of Functional Biomaterials.
2012 Reviewer for TransPerfect Translations. Life Science Practice Group.
X. Volunteer Experience
Sep 2011-Present Pan-American Virtual Conferences in Dermatology (PVCID). Telehealth Department, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL. International liaison.
Feb 2011-Present Psoriasis Biologic Clinic, Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL. Clinical coordinator for Dr. Paolo Romanelli.
Feb-Mar 2010 Haiti earthquake relief. Project Medishare/UM, Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Volunteer relief work in the Wound Care Team.
2009-Present Camillus House Health Initiative (homeless shelter clinic), Dermatology Clinic, Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery, University of Miami, Miami, FL. Medical assistant.
Jan-Mar 2008 Jackson Memorial, Miami, FL. Observership in Internal Medicine and Physical and Rehabilitation, William J. Harrington Program.
Aug-Oct 2007 Cleveland Clinic Florida, Miami, F. Observership in Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology.
Oct-Nov 2006 South Miami Hospital, Miami, FL. Observership in Infectious Diseases.
2004 Penitentiary Program, at El Rodeo II and La Planta Penal Centers, Caracas, Venezuela. Medical Assistant.
2004 Rural rotation at Maniapure (a small underserved indigenous community), Bolivar, Venezuela. Medical Assistant.
Central University of Venezuela, Luis Razetti School of Medicine.
2004 “School of Medicine Luis Razetti award”. Graduated with honors for excellence in academic and extracurricular activities.
2004 “Student’s Merit Award”. Successful completion of voluntary medical social work in El Rodeo II and La Planta Prisons. Venezuela Penitentiary Program.
2000 “Dr. Jose Izquierdo” Merit award for outstanding performance in Anatomy.
1999-2000 Honorable Mention for highest grade in Anatomy, Neuroanatomy, and Histology.
2009-Present Society of Advanced Wound Care (SAWC)
2009-Present American College of Physicians (ACP)
2008-Present American Medical Association (AMA)
2004-Present Colegio de Médicos de D.F. Caracas, Venezuela
Fluent in English and Spanish.
© 2019 Minars Dermatology. All rights reserved.